Thai Pumpkin Curry Recipe
Happy Halloween, witches!
No better way to get in the spooky spirit than to whip up a healthy, vegan, pumpkin curry to counteract all that candy we know you’ll be eating! ;) This recipe is a simple yet satisfying plant-based, gluten-free, festive meal to enjoy this spooky season.
**Note: To be cooked with monster mash playing softly in the background and paired with lots of Halloween candy ;)
- 1 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small red chili or serrano pepper (stem & seeds removed, thinly sliced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 4 Tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 4 cups or 1 lb peeled and cubed pumpkin or butternut squash
- 3 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk--the thicker the better
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime
- ⅔ cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup fresh basil for garnish
- Jasmine rice, brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice
- Add coconut oil, onion, ginger, garlic, and chili to large pot. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bell pepper and curry paste and stir. Cook for two minutes, then add the pumpkin/butternut squash and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, maple syrup, turmeric, sea salt, soy sauce, and stir. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, slightly reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the pumpkin is tender, add lime juice and cashews and cover, simmer for 3-4 additional minutes over low heat.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with basil and enjoy!